What is trichomycosis nodularis (piedra)?

Trichomycosis nodularis, a condition which is also known as trichomycosis nodosa or piedra, occurs when fungus collects on the hair shaft and forms hardened nodules called piedra. The fungus that causes this infection can be characterized by the presence of either black or white piedra, which refers to the color of the nodules on the hair shaft. Piedra can occur on hair in the pubic area, scalp, or body. Although this infection is typically harmless, it can cause hair fibers to break off and lead to some hair loss.

Continue Learning about Hair Diseases (Hair Disorders)

Uncombable Hair Syndrome—It’s a Real Thing
Besides a great sense of humor and a touch of brilliance, what does the 102-year-old comedian Professor Irwin Corey (“Without this great land of ours,...
Contending With Unwanted Hair Growth
Contending With Unwanted Hair Growth
In 1865, as a one-year-old, Annie Jones Elliot was put in PT Barnum’s sideshow as “The New Infant Esau.” (Easu in Hebrew means hairy). By age five, Th...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dry hair?
If your loved one has dry hair, you should help them look for hair care products that have a pH of a...
How will my hair disorder affect my quality of life?
Your quality of life will depend on how you handle your hair disorder. It will also depend on what k...