Should I talk to my doctor about my pili torti symptoms?

If you suspect you or your child has pili torti, you should talk to your doctor. Pili torti is associated with a number of serious conditions which can cause deafness or learning disabilities. It can also be a symptom of Menkes kinky-hair disease, which causes serious neurological problems, changes to the bone, or death. There may not be an association with these syndromes, but your doctor can diagnose these conditions and recommend treatment.

Continue Learning about Hair Diseases (Hair Disorders)

Uncombable Hair Syndrome—It’s a Real Thing
Besides a great sense of humor and a touch of brilliance, what does the 102-year-old comedian Professor Irwin Corey (“Without this great land of ours,...
Contending With Unwanted Hair Growth
Contending With Unwanted Hair Growth
In 1865, as a one-year-old, Annie Jones Elliot was put in PT Barnum’s sideshow as “The New Infant Esau.” (Easu in Hebrew means hairy). By age five, Th...
What is hirsutism?
Hirsutism is a condition where women have excess facial and body hair. The hair is dark and coarse l...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with a hair disorder?
You can start by knowing what kind of hair disorder they have. You will know better how to treat the...