How do I manage my dandruff?

The management of dandruff depends on the severity of its symptoms. For mild cases of dandruff, special care to cleanse the scalp daily with mild shampooing and avoid overly dry environments should go a long way to effectively manage symptoms. For more severe cases, over-the-counter anti-dandruff shampoos that work through antifungal effect, physical removal of skin scale, or slowing of skin sloughing may help in dealing with dandruff. The most severe cases of dandruff may require medical evaluation by a qualified healthcare provider and prescription medication.

Continue Learning about Hair Diseases (Hair Disorders)

Uncombable Hair Syndrome—It’s a Real Thing
Besides a great sense of humor and a touch of brilliance, what does the 102-year-old comedian Professor Irwin Corey (“Without this great land of ours,...
Contending With Unwanted Hair Growth
Contending With Unwanted Hair Growth
In 1865, as a one-year-old, Annie Jones Elliot was put in PT Barnum’s sideshow as “The New Infant Esau.” (Easu in Hebrew means hairy). By age five, Th...
Is trichodynia common?
One study found that 34 percent of women seeing a doctor for their hair loss report trichodynia. In ...
What might cause itchy, painful blisters on my head?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
The location and size of the blisters are important in diagnosing the cause.Blisters on the scalp ca...