How do hair disorders affect women differently than men?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Some hair disorders, such as hirsutism, can have a more profound affect on a woman's emotional well being, than that of a man's. This is because women will grow excessive hair in areas such as beard, mustache, chest, back and inner thighs. By the same token, men may typically deal with baldness better than women. Women will probably utilize all the therapies offered, including wigs, whereas men may just let the baldness be, do the comb over, or just shave it all off.

Continue Learning about Hair Diseases (Hair Disorders)

What is the duration of a hair disorder?
The duration of a hair disorder would depend on the type of disorder and the therapy administered. S...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with a hair disorder?
You can start by knowing what kind of hair disorder they have. You will know better how to treat the...
As a woman, how can I deal with excessive hair?
Celeste Robb-NicholsonCeleste Robb-Nicholson
Just as hormones influence hair loss in women, they can also cause an overgrowth of hair. It often o...
What is hirsutism?
Hirsutism is a condition where women have excess facial and body hair. The hair is dark and coarse l...