Do hair disorders run in families?

Hair disorders can definitely run in families. Polycystic ovary syndrome, which may be caused or partly caused by genetic factors, is one cause of a hair disorder known as hirsutism. Congenital adrenal hyperplasia can also cause this overgrowth of hair due to the overproduction of male hormones. Baldness is hereditary and can afflict men as well as women.

Continue Learning about Hair Diseases (Hair Disorders)

Contending With Unwanted Hair Growth
Contending With Unwanted Hair Growth
In 1865, as a one-year-old, Annie Jones Elliot was put in PT Barnum’s sideshow as “The New Infant Esau.” (Easu in Hebrew means hairy). By age five, Th...
Uncombable Hair Syndrome—It’s a Real Thing
Besides a great sense of humor and a touch of brilliance, what does the 102-year-old comedian Professor Irwin Corey (“Without this great land of ours,...
Who is most at risk for a hair disorder?
Because there are various types of hair disorders, it would depend on the form of the disorder to de...
How will my hair disorder affect my quality of life?
Your quality of life will depend on how you handle your hair disorder. It will also depend on what k...