Can I get dandruff if I don't wash my hair frequently?

Not washing your hair frequently does increase your risk for dandruff, also known as seborrheic dermatitis, a condition in which whitish-yellow, greasy flakes can develop on the scalp. Other factors, such as a family history of dandruff, oily skin, stress, and extreme weather may also increase your risk for dandruff. Using dandruff shampoo can help you control the condition. Talk to your dermatologist about the best shampoos for your hair and scalp.

Continue Learning about Hair Diseases (Hair Disorders)

Uncombable Hair Syndrome—It’s a Real Thing
Besides a great sense of humor and a touch of brilliance, what does the 102-year-old comedian Professor Irwin Corey (“Without this great land of ours,...
Contending With Unwanted Hair Growth
Contending With Unwanted Hair Growth
In 1865, as a one-year-old, Annie Jones Elliot was put in PT Barnum’s sideshow as “The New Infant Esau.” (Easu in Hebrew means hairy). By age five, Th...
How will my hair disorder affect my quality of life?
Your quality of life will depend on how you handle your hair disorder. It will also depend on what k...
What are the symptoms of hair disorders?
The symptoms of a hair disease can vary from hair loss to excessive hair growth. The disorder known ...