Can I get dandruff if I don't wash my hair frequently?

Not washing your hair frequently does increase your risk for dandruff, also known as seborrheic dermatitis, a condition in which whitish-yellow, greasy flakes can develop on the scalp. Other factors, such as a family history of dandruff, oily skin, stress, and extreme weather may also increase your risk for dandruff. Using dandruff shampoo can help you control the condition. Talk to your dermatologist about the best shampoos for your hair and scalp.

Continue Learning about Hair Diseases (Hair Disorders)

What causes trichodynia?
It's unknown what causes trichodynia. Because it often presents in conjunction with depression, anxi...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with a hair disorder?
You can start by knowing what kind of hair disorder they have. You will know better how to treat the...
What is hirsutism?
Hirsutism is a condition where women have excess facial and body hair. The hair is dark and coarse l...
How do hair disorders affect the body?
Hair disorders can affect the body in a variety of ways. Depending on the hair disorder, you could e...