What are the complications of hypertrichosis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Complications from hypertrichosis depend on the primary disease. For instance, acquired hypertrichosis that is caused by cancer or AIDS will have various complications that could be fatal. Additionally, you might not be able to discontinue a particular drug if your life depends on that drug. Hypertrichosis itself has no life threatening complications. What you might be concerned with is the every day management of the condition and the efforts used to remove the excessive hair.

Continue Learning about Hair Diseases (Hair Disorders)

What do I need to know about caring for someone with dry hair?
If your loved one has dry hair, you should help them look for hair care products that have a pH of a...
Do hair disorders affect children differently than adults?
One form of hair loss, commonly found in children, called trichotillomania is due to a constant pull...
How do doctors treat trichodynia?
There is no one way to treat trichodynia; doctors take a very individualistic approach. If trichodyn...
What might cause itchy, painful blisters on my head?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
The location and size of the blisters are important in diagnosing the cause.Blisters on the scalp ca...