When is it safe to dye my hair if I am pregnant?

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing Specialist

If you were a dye-hard before you got pregnant, you may wonder if it's okay to continue to color. Find out what nurse midwife Paula Greer has to say about dyeing your hair when you're expecting by watching this video.

Hair coloring is not recognized as a danger during pregnancy. Some of the chemicals in hair dye can be absorbed through the skin via the scalp, but there's very little risk, especially if you choose to do highlighting or streaking, which involve less direct contact with the scalp. Temporary dyes that you apply at home are less toxic than permanent ones, but make sure you wear gloves and use them in a well-ventilated area to avoid breathing in fumes.

Another option is pure henna, a semi-permanent dye that's been used for thousands of years. It's messy and has to be left on for four to eight hours, but it's safe and leaves an orange-red hue (other colors of henna don't count because they may contain potentially risky metallic compounds).

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time, are trying to start your family, or already have enough children to start your own basketball team, you're bound to have questions about what it means to be pregnant -- and how you can increase your odds of having a healthy and happy pregnancy. But no matter how much you've read, watched, studied, or talked about this amazing biological journey, you have never read anything like this. In this groundbreaking book, Dr. Michael Roizen and Dr. Mehmet Oz act as mythbusters for the hundreds of questions surrounding pregnancy in the same scientific, informative, and entertaining ways that have made them America's Doctors. In these pages, you'll learn everything you need to know about the miracles of fetal development, your health throughout the pregnancy, and providing the best possible environment for your growing child. Pregnancy is a complicated balancing act, but it doesn't have to be frightening. The doctors will help you de-stress as they describe accurately and rationally what happens during a thrilling nine months of life. While every pregnant body is different, odds are you'll experience some of the cravings, crying, and discomfort that almost all women go through. Your best tactic? Learn why these things are happening -- and what you should do about them. YOU: Having a Baby will teach you everything you need to know about what to eat (should I be eating for two?), how much to exercise, and what guilty pleasures will actually make pregnancy easier on you (and the loved ones who get to be around you for the whole thing). Each phase of pregnancy has different challenges, but the right information will prepare you for what's ahead. The interactive week-by-week calendar inside provides an even more detailed guideline for how and what you should feel through every step of the process. Exciting, cutting-edge scientific research in the fi eld of epigenetics has changed the way the medical profession looks at pregnancy, and now it can change your perspective, too. Epigenetics explores what makes us develop in certain ways -- why some people thrive at math while others are prone to chronic diseases. It turns out that there are easy things you can do that will not just help your baby's development in utero but will actually improve his or her chances of living a healthy, fulfi lling adult life. Filled with recipes for nutritious, satisfying snacks and meals even Pop can cook (yes, he can!), safe exercises for staying fit, and tons of YOU tips that will help you stay comfortable, YOU: Having a Baby is the ultimate guidebook for what to do from the moment of conception to the weeks after your child has arrived home. From morning sickness and food cravings to choosing a doctor and changing a diaper, YOU: Having a Baby will give you the real scoop about what's in store for you during this amazing time in your life.
Dr. Robert W. Chalmers, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

The chemicals that are used in hair dye sometimes can make people feel nauseated, so as long as they're in a well-ventilated salon, coloring hair during pregnancy has not been shown to cause any abnormalities with babies or any complications during pregnancy.

There are no large-scale, high-quality human studies of hair coloring and hair dye products and pregnancy outcomes. In observational studies of hairdressers in the Netherlands, no adverse effects of exposure to hair coloring products on pregnancy outcomes were detected. In case-control studies of various fetal and childhood problems, including brain tumors, the use of hair dyes by the mother was not associated with an increased risk of brain tumors. Based on the data available, moderate use of hair coloring and hair dye products is not likely to be associated with an adverse impact on pregnancy.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Chemicals can be dangerous to your baby when you are pregnant. Watch this video to learn if dying your hair can affect your pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Hair Coloring

How can I choose a hair color to help me look younger?
David PollockDavid Pollock
Coloring your hair to hide the gray is a great way to hide the telltale signs of aging. Choose a col...
How can I hide grey hair between hair coloring appointments?
There's no way to keep grey away between appointments with your colorist (otherwise, she wouldn'...
Is It Safe to Dye My Hair While I am Pregnant?
Is It Safe to Dye My Hair While Pregnant?