What is the best hair dye, natural or conventional?

The best hair dye for you may depend on the color change you are looking for. If you want to be able to wash out the color with shampooing, then using a natural dye, such as henna, or a semi-permanent commercial brand product may be best. If you want hair color that won't wash out, look for a permanent hair coloring product.

No matter what type of hair coloring product you choose, make sure to follow the package directions carefully, wear plastic gloves when applying the dye, and apply it only to the hair on your head, never to your eyebrows or eyelashes.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) also recommends doing a patch test before you apply hair color all over your head, as in some people hair coloring products may cause skin irritation or even allergic reactions. To do a patch test, rub a little bit of the dye on the inside of your elbow or behind your ear and wait two days. If a rash results, do not apply the hair color to your hair. If your skin has no reaction, it is probably safe to use the hair color on your head.

Continue Learning about Hair Coloring

How can I choose a hair color to help me look younger?
David PollockDavid Pollock
Coloring your hair to hide the gray is a great way to hide the telltale signs of aging. Choose a col...
How can I hide grey hair between hair coloring appointments?
There's no way to keep grey away between appointments with your colorist (otherwise, she wouldn'...
Is It Safe to Dye My Hair While Pregnant?
Is It Safe to Dye My Hair While I am Pregnant?