What is the best hair dye, natural or conventional?

The best hair dye for you may depend on the color change you are looking for. If you want to be able to wash out the color with shampooing, then using a natural dye, such as henna, or a semi-permanent commercial brand product may be best. If you want hair color that won't wash out, look for a permanent hair coloring product.

No matter what type of hair coloring product you choose, make sure to follow the package directions carefully, wear plastic gloves when applying the dye, and apply it only to the hair on your head, never to your eyebrows or eyelashes.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) also recommends doing a patch test before you apply hair color all over your head, as in some people hair coloring products may cause skin irritation or even allergic reactions. To do a patch test, rub a little bit of the dye on the inside of your elbow or behind your ear and wait two days. If a rash results, do not apply the hair color to your hair. If your skin has no reaction, it is probably safe to use the hair color on your head.

Continue Learning about Hair Coloring

How does hair bleaching and coloring work?
Large terminal scalp hair shafts are composed of three distinct zones or parts - the medulla, the co...
Can coloring my hair damage my scalp?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Coloring your hair can cause damage to your scalp if you're allergic to the dye.
How can I have healthy hair if I use hair dye?
Although hair dyes can increase your risk for breakage, you can still have healthy, color-treate...
Is it safe to bleach my eyebrows at home?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
You can lighten your brows to make them appear more subtle, but don’t try bleaching your own brows a...