What possible adverse reactions could I have when coloring my hair?

Hair coloring can cause adverse reactions such as burning, redness, and irritation, especially if you are sensitive to any of the ingredients in the dye. If you're allergic to the dye you might develop a rash or even blisters.

Before using hair dye at home or having your hair colored at a salon, you or the colorist should do a patch test to make sure you won't have a bad reaction. Place a small amount of the dye on the inside of your elbow or behind your ear, and leave it there for two days. If you haven't had a reaction in two days, the dye should be safe to use on your head.

If you're using hair dye at home, be sure to read and follow the package instructions carefully. Never use hair dyes on your eyelashes or eyebrows.

If you have any concerns about adverse reaction to hair coloring products, talk with your doctor or dermatologist.

Continue Learning about Hair Coloring

Are lead acetates safe in hair dyes?
Lead acetate is used as a color additive in progressive hair dyes, the kinds of dyes that are co...
What precautions should I take when I dye my hair?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The best way to ensure that you don't have an allergic reaction when coloring your hair is to test t...
Is It Safe to Dye My Hair While Pregnant?
Is It Safe to Dye My Hair While I am Pregnant?