Why does hair get greasy looking?

Each of the hair follicles on your body is connected to glands that secrete an oily substance to lubricate your skin and hair. The oily substance, called sebum, moves up the hair shaft and out the follicle. Watch the animation to learn more about sebum.

Continue Learning about Hair & Beauty

Do keratin hair-straightening treatments contain formaldehyde?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
In the wake of the Brazilian Blowout scandal that has many seeking alternative routes to achieve smo...
How can I prevent hair loss caused by braiding?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Tight twists and braids cause what’s known as tensile stress, which is basically a constant tugging ...
How can I make my thinning hair look thicker?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Playing around with your haircut can mask thinning hair, so talk to your stylist about adding volume...
What causes hair to turn grey?
Our natural hair color is composed of certain pigments. But, as Dr. Oz notes in this video, the ...