Why does hair get greasy looking?

Hair can get greasy over time either because of oils secreted from the scalp or because of oily hair care products. Some people produce more oils than others. The excess oil may be due to hormone surges triggered by puberty, stress, pregnancy, menstruation, or hormonal medications. Many hair care products contain oil and can make your hair look and feel greasy. These products may also clog the pores in your scalp and cause skin problems.

There are a few things you can do to prevent or address greasy hair. Make sure you shower and shampoo daily. It's okay to brush your hair, but avoid brushing too hard or too frequently. The oils from your scalp will spread throughout your hair, causing it to look greasy. Also, avoid using products designed for oily hair.

Each of the hair follicles on your body is connected to glands that secrete an oily substance to lubricate your skin and hair. The oily substance, called sebum, moves up the hair shaft and out the follicle. Watch the animation to learn more about sebum.

Continue Learning about Hair & Beauty

5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
In War for Planet of the Apes, Andy Serkis (the ape Ceaser) and Woody Harrelson (the Colonel) sport virtually the same coiffure. It seems both Ceaser ...
What hair style can make me look good as I age?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
As a general rule, medium to short hair has an uplifting effect on the face. Longer styles tend to e...
How is brushing good for my hair?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
There are three cycles of hair growth: growth, shedding and resting. If you’re not brushing your hai...
The Health Risks of Brazilian Blowouts
The Health Risks of Brazilian Blowouts