What would happen if I never cut my hair?

Getting your hair cut regularly will help keep it healthy.

If you never cut your hair, it probably still wouldn't grow to a point where you would be walking on it. That's because each individual hair grows an average of six inches per year, and stops growing and is shed within two to six years. That means that each hair would probably reach a length between 12 inches and 36 inches before it was shed and new hair started growing in.

Hairs on our heads grow approximately half an inch per month and have an average lifespan of two to six years. From this, one can figure that an average person's hair shouldn't grow longer than about 3 feet or so.

.5 inches x 12 months x 6 years = 36 inches or 3 feet

Since some people's hair may grow a bit faster and might possibly remain attached for a longer time period, it's possible that someone's hair may grow even longer, say about 5 feet. That, however, would be much less common. So, it's highly unlikely you would resemble Cousin It of the Addams Family.

Continue Learning about Hair & Beauty

5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
In War for Planet of the Apes, Andy Serkis (the ape Ceaser) and Woody Harrelson (the Colonel) sport virtually the same coiffure. It seems both Ceaser ...
What hairstyles can help me look younger?
David PollockDavid Pollock
Longer hair can actually make you look tired and worn down. Shorter hair eliminates the dry ends, cr...
Can I train my hair to be less oily?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Many a hairstylist claims that if you wash your hair less often you can actually train your hair to ...
How Can I Use My Hair to Make Me Look Younger?