How can I make my hair smoother and less frizzy?

To make your hair smoother and less frizzy, Amy McMichael, MD, chair of the Department of Dermatology at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, NC, told us: "Shampoo and conditioning products geared to hair type (thin, thick, color or chemical treated) will help. But often, this will not be enough to coat the hair for all the days between washing. To help maintain a more moisturized hair shaft, daily leave-on products can be very helpful in the maintenance of smooth hair shafts, minimizing frizz, as well as minimizing the heavy weighed-down feeling that a wash-off conditioning product will cause if left on the hair. Among other agents, products with dimethicone-coating agents work nicely to smooth the hair without leaving it greasy. However, a high concentration of dimethicone in products can cause a very oily hair shaft. (If it's high on the ingredient list, it's safe to assume there's more of it!)"

Continue Learning about Hair & Beauty

5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
In War for Planet of the Apes, Andy Serkis (the ape Ceaser) and Woody Harrelson (the Colonel) sport virtually the same coiffure. It seems both Ceaser ...
How can I protect my hair from damage from styling tools?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Styling tools can cause major damage. Follow these tips to save your hair. Blow dryer: When your ...
What hair style can make me look good as I age?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
As a general rule, medium to short hair has an uplifting effect on the face. Longer styles tend to e...
Are You at Risk for Thinning Hair?
Are You at Risk for Thinning Hair?