How should I wash my hair?

For perfect hair maintenance, I recommend (and follow myself) this three-step process:
Step 1: Shampoo: Before getting into the shower, gently brush or finger-comb your hair to loosen up tangles and residue. When washing your hair, treat it as if it were fine silk - delicately. Leave hair hanging down and gently massage in shampoo starting at the roots and working down. Never pile shampoo on top of your head.
Step 2: Condition: Conditioner creates shine and preserves hair health by giving it smoothness and protecting against damage. For volume, condition only the middle and ends of your hair where it's most susceptible to damage. For shine, condition the entire strand. Do it every time you use shampoo, and more often if you want.
Step 3: Drying: Don't rub your hair with a towel or twist it tightly into a turban. Wet hair is delicate and breaks easily. Pat it gently and squeeze it with your towel or use a super-absorbent towel sold at salons. A wide-toothed comb is the best way to detangle and distribute styling products when hair is wet. And keep any dryers at low-heat settings.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Hair & Beauty

5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
In War for Planet of the Apes, Andy Serkis (the ape Ceaser) and Woody Harrelson (the Colonel) sport virtually the same coiffure. It seems both Ceaser ...
What causes unwanted hair growth?
More than 80% of women have unwanted hair on their bodies. To learn more about unwanted hair and...
How can I make my hair smoother and less frizzy?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
To make your hair smoother and less frizzy, Amy McMichael, MD, chair of the Department of Dermatolog...
What Causes Hair to Turn Grey?
What Causes Hair to Turn Grey?