Does straightening damage your hair?

Whether you use heated tools to straighten your hair for an evening out or chemical relaxers to straighten your hair more "permanently," you may be damaging your hair. Relaxer products work by breaking the chemical bonds in the hair. Many contain lye, a caustic substance, but even non-lye relaxers can damage hair if they're mixed incorrectly or left on the hair for too long. It’s extremely important to follow directions carefully to minimize the damage to your hair. Avoid relaxing your hair if your scalp is irritated, as this can worsen the irritation, and wait at least six weeks between treatments to minimize damage to your hair.

Similarly, limit your use of heated styling tools, as these, too, can cause hair to weaken and break, and never let the hair get so hot that it burns. Talk to your dermatologist for more information about ways to minimize risks when straightening your hair.

Continue Learning about Hair & Beauty

What can I do to make my hair look younger and healthier?
Like the skin, the hair can reveal a lot about your overall health. Learn more about remedies fo...
What would happen if I never cut my hair?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Hairs on our heads grow approximately half an inch per month and have an average lifespan of two to ...
What products can I take for thinning hair?
Thinning hair, often with loss of hair color, can be a sign of a biotin deficiency. If you are defic...
How can hormonal problems cause excess facial hair in women?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
In women who have hormonal problems, many laser hair removal treatments will be necessary unless...