Does straightening damage your hair?

Whether you use heated tools to straighten your hair for an evening out or chemical relaxers to straighten your hair more "permanently," you may be damaging your hair. Relaxer products work by breaking the chemical bonds in the hair. Many contain lye, a caustic substance, but even non-lye relaxers can damage hair if they're mixed incorrectly or left on the hair for too long. It’s extremely important to follow directions carefully to minimize the damage to your hair. Avoid relaxing your hair if your scalp is irritated, as this can worsen the irritation, and wait at least six weeks between treatments to minimize damage to your hair.

Similarly, limit your use of heated styling tools, as these, too, can cause hair to weaken and break, and never let the hair get so hot that it burns. Talk to your dermatologist for more information about ways to minimize risks when straightening your hair.

Continue Learning about Hair & Beauty

5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
In War for Planet of the Apes, Andy Serkis (the ape Ceaser) and Woody Harrelson (the Colonel) sport virtually the same coiffure. It seems both Ceaser ...
How should I wash my hair?
For perfect hair maintenance, I recommend (and follow myself) this three-step process: Step 1: Shamp...
How can I make my thick hair manageable?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Although ladies with fine hair might kill for some of your hair volume, your strands may be hard...
How to Make Your Own All-Natural Hair Mask