What causes unwanted hair growth?

More than 80% of women have unwanted hair on their bodies.

To learn more about unwanted hair and what causes it, watch this video by Dr. Oz.

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Having too much hair in male patterns (on the abdomen or the face, for instance) is either hormonal or a normal ethnic variation. A lot of Greek, Italian, and Eastern European women have hypertrichosis to some extent. Many Asian women have dark peach fuzz (or vellus hairs) on their cheeks. Hair growth on the body starts in puberty and surges during pregnancy, and black hairs get thicker over time with age.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Hair & Beauty

5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
In War for Planet of the Apes, Andy Serkis (the ape Ceaser) and Woody Harrelson (the Colonel) sport virtually the same coiffure. It seems both Ceaser ...
How can I keep my hair from getting tangled?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Hair tangles happen when the cuticle (the outside layer) gets roughed up and clings to neighboring s...
What hairstyles can help me look younger?
David PollockDavid Pollock
Longer hair can actually make you look tired and worn down. Shorter hair eliminates the dry ends, cr...
Hair Trends That Could Be Harmful to Your Health