Are the new hair relaxers bad for your health?

Some hair relaxers or straighteners, such as certain Brazilian blowout treatments, may pose a health hazard if they contain formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is a colorless, strong-smelling gas that can damage eyes, lungs and skin and may even raise your risk for cancer.

To avoid this chemical, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends that you avoid any product that lists any of the following substances among the ingredients: methylene glycol, formalin, methylene oxide, paraform, formic aldehyde, methanal, oxomethane, oxymethylene, or CAS Number 50-00-0.

If your scalp is irritated, using any type of hair relaxer may worsen the irritation. Avoid using relaxers until your scalp heals.

Continue Learning about Hair & Beauty

5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
5 Steps to Safer Body Hair Grooming
In War for Planet of the Apes, Andy Serkis (the ape Ceaser) and Woody Harrelson (the Colonel) sport virtually the same coiffure. It seems both Ceaser ...
How can I use my hair to make me look younger?
Common hair color mistakes can make you look washed out, dragged down -- old. In this video, cel...
What causes unwanted hair growth?
More than 80% of women have unwanted hair on their bodies. To learn more about unwanted hair and...
Create the Perfect Fishtail Braid
Create the Perfect Fishtail Braid