Why should I seek treatment for atrophic vaginitis?

Up to half of all menopausal women experience atrophic vaginitis, the thinning and hardening of vaginal tissues as a result of declining estrogen levels, which can lead to pain during intercourse. Atrophic vaginitis also may occur at other “low estrogen” times in a woman’s life, such during breastfeeding or after cancer treatment.

Estrogen replacement is the most common treatment for atrophic vaginitis, but an active sex life is helpful, too. This includes masturbation and partner sex, since both bring increased blood flow to the genitals, and with that comes oxygen and moisture to keep tissues healthy. Women who haven’t been sexually active can ease back into sex with masturbation, or with sexual activity with a partner that doesn’t include penetration. The use of dilators, in gradually increasing sizes, can help, too.

However, it may take some time to get the vagina to the point where penetration is comfortable and enjoyable, up to two years for some women, though most women respond sooner.

Many women are embarrassed to reach out for help, or rationalize the symptoms as a part of aging and a reason to stop being sexual, especially if they don’t have a partner. However, in addition to affecting a woman’s relationship, atrophic vaginitis can also lead to problems with vaginal infections and incontinence, so it’s important to seek treatment with a healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

What happens within a woman's body during sex?
During sex, women's pupils dilate, nostrils flare, heart rate increases, oxytocin increases, sweat g...
Why do my fingernails change around the time I get my period?
Menstruation, or periods, can affect the fingernails. In this video, Dr. Oz explains the link be...
How is mastitis treated?
Oral antibiotics are highly effective in treating mastitis, but if symptoms do not show improvement ...
What increases my risk for fibroadenoma?
What causes fibroadenoma is still unknown. However, it is thought that their occurrence may be linke...