Why do I need a Pap test and a human papillomavirus (HPV) test?

The Pap test checks for abnormal cell changes of your cervix caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV); the HPV test looks for the DNA or RNA from high-risk types of HPV that can cause abnormal changes of cervical cells. Most women will be infected by HPV and will clear their infections within two years. A prolonged HPV infection can be the most significant risk factor for cervical cancer, especially infection with HPV 16 or 18 -- the two highest-risk strains of the virus.

For women age 30 and older, the combination of a Pap test and the HPV test -- called cotesting -- is less likely to miss an abnormality than the Pap test alone. The HPV test is used in screening women 30 and older because if the virus is found, it may be an infection that has been there for a long time. If you have HPV, you will be evaluated closely, even if your Pap test is normal. This means that disease may be found that was missed by the Pap test. If you have a high-risk strain of HPV, you will be followed closely, as long as the virus remains in your cells.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

5 Proven Ways to Cut Your Cervical Cancer Risk
With timely screenings and the proper prevention methods, cervical cancer can be found early—when a cure is most possible—or avoided all together. Tha...
What are the side effects of surgery for my uterine prolapse?
Henrico Doctors' Hospital  - HCA VirginiaHenrico Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
Surgery treats uterine prolapse by restoring the support that the vagina had before the prolapse occ...
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
Skipping annual appointments, self-treating symptoms and other gyno no-nos.
What should I do to prepare for a gynecologist appointment?