Why do my gums bleed right before my period?

Carol Jahn
Dentist

Hormonal changes make the gum tissue more sensitive to plaque and this can cause bleeding. The best way to prevent this from happening is to step up your daily oral care routine. Make sure you brush for two minutes and are cleaning in between your teeth every day. If flossing is difficult, there are many other effective, easy to use products available including interproximal brushes, toothpicks, floss aids, and a Water Flosser. The healthier your mouth is, the less likely for the tissue to become sensitive and bleed in response to your hormonal fluctuations.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
For straight-up down-there medical problems—a yeast infection, say, or a positive at-home pregnancy test—there’s no question you should call on your o...
What should I do if my Pap test is abnormal?
Denise LongDenise Long
As the previous answer noted, there are many reasons why a pap test may come back abnormal even when...
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
Beyond just sexual and reproductive health issues, your OB can work with you on the health of your bones, heart and more.
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?