Why is breast magnetic resonance imagining (MRI) performed?

A breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is done to:
  • Find breast cancer early in those with dense breast tissue (usually found in younger women) or those with a high risk for breast cancer
  • Evaluate abnormalities found on a mammogram or breast ultrasound
  • Show the difference between scar tissue and recurrent tumors
  • Evaluate breast implants
  • Assess the effectiveness of chemotherapy

Continue Learning about Gynecology

How Often Do You Really Need a Pap Smear?
Some 93 percent of cervical cancers could be prevented through HPV (human papillomavirus) vaccination and screenings, including regular Pap tests (als...
Is there a natural way to treat PMS?
Instead of calling it premenstrual syndrome, think of it as premenstrual supplements. Why? Because y...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
What Do I Need to Know About Over-the-Counter Lubricants or Moisturizers to Treat Vaginal Dryness?