Who should not have a vaginal hysterectomy?

With vaginal hysterectomy, the surgeon makes an incision at the top of the vagina and removes the uterus through it.

Some conditions that preclude vaginal hysterectomy include an enlarged uterus (often the result of fibroids), previous operations, a history of severe endometriosis with adhesive disease, a small pelvis, a malignant or premalignant condition or simply the need for better exposure to the abdomen.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

My Pap Smear Was Abnormal. Should I Be Worried?
A Pap smear, a test that screens for cervical cancer, may not be the most dignified medical test for a woman—even peeing on a stick to see if you’re p...
What are non-cancerous breast conditions?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
When a lump is found in the breast, a woman may immediately think it's cancer. Breast lumps are not ...
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
Skipping annual appointments, self-treating symptoms and other gyno no-nos.
What Should Patients Look for When Seeking a Surgeon Who Performs Robotic Surgery?