Who should not have a vaginal hysterectomy?

With vaginal hysterectomy, the surgeon makes an incision at the top of the vagina and removes the uterus through it.

Some conditions that preclude vaginal hysterectomy include an enlarged uterus (often the result of fibroids), previous operations, a history of severe endometriosis with adhesive disease, a small pelvis, a malignant or premalignant condition or simply the need for better exposure to the abdomen.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

The Truth About Hysterectomies
The Truth About Hysterectomies
Roughly one in nine women in the U.S. will have a hysterectomy, or surgery to remove the uterus, at some point in their lifetime. A healthcare provide...
How is mastitis treated?
Oral antibiotics are highly effective in treating mastitis, but if symptoms do not show improvement ...
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?
How Do Complications from Robotic Hysterectomy Compare to Those of Traditional or Open Hysterectomy?