When is breast cyst aspiration performed?

A cyst may need to be aspirated:

1. When the doctor and you want to be absolutely certain that the breast lump you feel is a cyst

2. When the radiologist is not sure if the lump found on a mammogram is the same lump seen on an ultrasound

3. If the lump does not have the typical features of a cyst on ultrasound

4. If it is large and tender; removing the fluid can make you feel more comfortable

After the aspiration, you may need a follow-up visit to make sure the cyst has not come back.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

What is abnormal vaginal bleeding?
Abnormal vaginal bleeding is blood flow from the vagina that is not related to normal menstrual cycl...
What effect does a hysterectomy have on sexual function?
Dr. Elizabeth A. Poynor, MDDr. Elizabeth A. Poynor, MD
A hysterectomy doesn't cause any physical changes that would change a woman's sexual functioning, an...
Why do I need to see an OBGYN when I'm in my 30s?
Johnston-Willis Hospital - HCA VirginiaJohnston-Willis Hospital - HCA Virginia
It is important to see an obstetrician/gynecologist (OBGYN) when you are in your 30s. Your OBGYN wil...
What Is a Relaxed Vagina?
What Is a Relaxed Vagina?