What is a vaginal hysterectomy (VH)?

There are two traditional types of hysterectomy: abdominal and vaginal. With vaginal hysterectomy, the surgeon makes an incision at the top of the vagina and removes the uterus through it. “Vaginal hysterectomy tends to be many physicians’ first choice because there is no incision needed on the outside of the body, and there’s a quick recovery time,” said Laura Wang, M.D., FACOG, a University Medical Group (UMG) gynecologist. “But some women are not candidates for it.”
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Tell Me Why… I Poop More During My Period
As if the cramps, bloating, mood swings, exhaustion and increased appetite during premenstrual syndrome (PMS) weren’t bad enough, your tummy may get o...
How is mastitis treated?
Oral antibiotics are highly effective in treating mastitis, but if symptoms do not show improvement ...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?