What is a vaginal hysterectomy (VH)?

There are two traditional types of hysterectomy: abdominal and vaginal. With vaginal hysterectomy, the surgeon makes an incision at the top of the vagina and removes the uterus through it. “Vaginal hysterectomy tends to be many physicians’ first choice because there is no incision needed on the outside of the body, and there’s a quick recovery time,” said Laura Wang, M.D., FACOG, a University Medical Group (UMG) gynecologist. “But some women are not candidates for it.”
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

My Pap Smear Was Abnormal. Should I Be Worried?
A Pap smear, a test that screens for cervical cancer, may not be the most dignified medical test for a woman—even peeing on a stick to see if you’re p...
What is a hysterectomy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
A hysterectomy is a surgery to remove all or part of the uterus. A total hysterectomy means that the...
What is the ovarian Pap test?
Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MDDr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
The Pap test is just a screening test and if it is abnormal then you will need a colposcopy to see i...
Is it okay to have sex the night before my OB/GYN appointment?
The answer depends on why you're going to the ob-gyn. To find out when having intercourse the night ...