What types of laparoscopic hysterectomy are available?

There are several types of laparoscopic hysterectomy, including:
  • Total laparoscopic hysterectomy (TLH): This procedure involves removing the entire uterus, including the cervix, through the vagina. The top of the vaginal opening inside the abdomen is then sewn together using instruments inserted through a laparoscope.
  • Laparoscope-assisted vaginal hysterectomy: In this operation, the surgeon inserts a laparoscope through the abdomen to inspect the upper abdomen extensively during the procedure. A surgeon might opt for this approach if the patient has pelvic adhesive disease that may have rendered a straightforward vaginal approach unsafe. This technique also may be preferred if the surgeon plans to remove the ovaries. During the procedure, the surgeon uses port access to disconnect the uterus and other structures, which then are removed through the vagina.
  • Laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy (LSH): This less-invasive approach is preferred by surgeons who believe it may be associated with a decrease in future incidence of vaginal prolapse. The surgeon detaches the uterus from the cervix but leaves the cervix and its fibrous support structures intact. The uterus is cut into small strips, which then are pulled out through ports.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

10 Essential Rules for a Healthy Vagina
10 Essential Rules for a Healthy Vagina
Vaginal yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis are the two most common types of vaginal health issues treated by Catherine Bagley, OBGYN, of Henrico...
Why do I need to see an OB/GYN when I'm in my 40s?
Denise LongDenise Long
All women should continue to regularly see a health care provider for preventative women's health ca...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?