What tools help monitor breasts with fibrocystic breast tissue?

Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgeon

The tools that help monitor breasts with fibrocystic disease include clinical exam, mammograms, ultrasounds and needle biospy for suspicious lesions. Any growth in a breast mass should be considered carefully for cancer and biopsied if necessary. Always consult with your physician for new breast lesions especially with postive family history of breast cancer.

Dr. Howard S. Smith
Pain Medicine Specialist

Regular breast examinations by a doctor are recommended as fibrocystic lumps can make breast cancer difficult to detect. Depending on the features of the lump, your doctor may order other diagnostic tests, such as an ultrasound of the breasts, a mammogram or even a tissue biopsy to help determine the cause.

Also, monthly self-examination of your breasts will help you to know how your breasts normally look and feel, and allow you to detect changes. Fibrocystic breast changes can feel lumpy, irregular or like tiny beads, usually in the upper quadrant of the breast (near your armpit).

Continue Learning about Gynecology

My Pap Smear Was Abnormal. Should I Be Worried?
A Pap smear, a test that screens for cervical cancer, may not be the most dignified medical test for a woman—even peeing on a stick to see if you’re p...
How do I care for myself after a hysterectomy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Recovery is different for every woman, and has a lot to do with the type of surgery you’ve had. It c...
Top 7 Questions Women Ask Their Gynecologist
Top 7 Questions Women Ask Their GynecologistTop 7 Questions Women Ask Their GynecologistTop 7 Questions Women Ask Their GynecologistTop 7 Questions Women Ask Their Gynecologist
You’re not the only one wondering. Unpredictable periods, vaginal changes, how to avoid STIs … you’re not the only one who’s wondering—or worrying—abo...
What Is an Estrogen Ring and How Can It Help with Vaginal Pain or Dryness?