What is the ovarian Pap test?

Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

The Pap test is just a screening test and if it is abnormal then you will need a colposcopy to see if there are any abnormal or suspicious areas on your cervix.

Call your doctor if you experience severe pain, heavy bleeding, vaginal discharge or itching after a Pap test. The test results should be back in 1-2 weeks and call if you have not heard the results in 2 weeks.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

How does surgery help treat polycystic ovary syndrome?
Surgery is usually the last effort in the treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and is rarel...
What are the treatment options for uterine prolapse?
The treatment of uterine prolapse depends on the severity of the prolapse, as well as several factor...
Should I have my ovaries removed when I have a hysterectomy?
Dr. Celeste Robb-NicholsonDr. Celeste Robb-Nicholson
The ovaries were once routinely removed when postmenopausal women were having a hysterectomy, and th...
9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period
9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period
Awful cramping or discomfort could signal a serious condition, like fibroids or endometriosis. Pelvic pain is caused by a variety of different conditi...