What is laparoscopic hysterectomy?

Kristi Weaver-Rowe, DO
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
A laparoscopic hysterectomy is a procedure that allows for removal of the uterus with only a few very small incisions. Laparoscopic surgery allows a surgeon to perform a major surgery with minimal recovery for the patient: Because the incisions are very small, this allows for less postoperative pain and a shorter recovery period. Most women will be able to go home the morning after their procedure, some even on the same day. Many women can be back to work in a matter of two to four weeks following laparoscopic hysterectomy rather than the standard six to eight weeks with a traditional open surgery. This shorter, less painful surgical process allows doctors to very effectively treat women with heavy, painful periods, pelvic pain or other surgical complaints and get them back to their lives with minimal interruption.
Kristine A. Borrison, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Laparoscopic hysterectomy requires smaller incisions to remove the uterus. Watch as gynecologist Kristine Borrison, MD, of Good Samaritan Hospital, explain how laparoscopic hysterectomy is performed. 
Ricardo E. Estape, MD
Gynecologic Oncology
In a laparoscopic hysterectomy, a surgeon uses several small incisions to remove the uterus and the cervix, explains Ricardo Estape, MD, a gynecologic oncologist at Baptist Health South Florida.
A laparoscopic hysterectomy requires only a small incision near the navel for the insertion of a laparoscope and then other quarter-inch incisions (ports) in the abdomen for other surgical instruments. Benefits include less bleeding and scarring, reduced pain, much shorter hospital stays and decreased recovery time of abdominal hysterectomy.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Tell Me Why… I Poop More During My Period
As if the cramps, bloating, mood swings, exhaustion and increased appetite during premenstrual syndrome (PMS) weren’t bad enough, your tummy may get o...
How do lax pelvic floor muscles affect a woman?
Thomas L. Wheeler II., MDThomas L. Wheeler II., MD
Pelvic floor muscles aid in supporting the vagina and also the functions of the bladder and rectum. ...
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
Skipping annual appointments, self-treating symptoms and other gyno no-nos.
Do I Need an Annual Check-Up?
Do I Need an Annual Check-Up?