What increases my risk for fibroadenoma?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

What causes fibroadenoma is still unknown. However, it is thought that their occurrence may be linked to reproductive hormones. This is because tumors are most likely to occur after puberty and prior to menopause, and because they can grow during pregnancy or if you are undergoing estrogen therapy.

Your risk of fibroadenoma may be increased if you are an adolescent or premenopausal woman. Your chances of fibroadenoma are also higher if you are pregnant or a post-menopausal woman currently going through estrogen therapy. And if you've had fibroadenoma before, it increases your risk of getting it again.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

What should I expect during a Pap smear?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
During a Pap smear, you will need to remove all of your clothing from the waist down. A female staff...
What causes polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)?
The exact cause of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is unknown, but researchers do know what causes ...
What Are the Most Common Sexual Health Concerns Among Your Patients?
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?