What increases my risk for fibroadenoma?

What causes fibroadenoma is still unknown. However, it is thought that their occurrence may be linked to reproductive hormones. This is because tumors are most likely to occur after puberty and prior to menopause, and because they can grow during pregnancy or if you are undergoing estrogen therapy.

Your risk of fibroadenoma may be increased if you are an adolescent or premenopausal woman. Your chances of fibroadenoma are also higher if you are pregnant or a post-menopausal woman currently going through estrogen therapy. And if you've had fibroadenoma before, it increases your risk of getting it again.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
For straight-up down-there medical problems—a yeast infection, say, or a positive at-home pregnancy test—there’s no question you should call on your o...
What is minimally invasive gynecologic surgery?
Alaska Regional HospitalAlaska Regional Hospital
New techniques, minimally invasive robotic surgery, have reduced the size of incisions for gynecolog...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?