What should I expect with a breast MRI?

Before a breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan, you can expect to be asked some questions, take a blood test and—after removing items from your person such as jewelry and eyeglasses—have an intravenous line (IV) inserted so that the contrast agent can be injected.

During a breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan, you can expect the following:

• You will be lying on your stomach on a table. The table will then be moved in a tube-like device that has a magnet.
  • You will be asked to remain quiet, breathe normally, and lie still on your stomach inside the tube.
  • Earplugs will be given to you to reduce the noise level, however, you will still be able to hear the technologist over the intercom, and the technologist will be able to hear you.
  • You may feel warm during the MRI procedure.
  • You will be asked to stay still for at least 30 minutes at a time while scanning of one or both breasts is done. It is very important that you stay still while the pictures are being taken.
  • After the first series of pictures is done, you will get an injection of gadolinium into a vein. This is a contrast agent that improves the visibility of the breast tissue in MRI scans. Another series of pictures will be taken after the injection.

When the entire breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan is complete, the table will move out of the tube and the technologist will take out the intravenous (IV) line and help you off the table. Then, you may change back into your clothes. Since the computer takes hundreds of pictures, it may take three to four days to send a report to your doctor who will discuss the results with you.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

My Pap Smear Was Abnormal. Should I Be Worried?
A Pap smear, a test that screens for cervical cancer, may not be the most dignified medical test for a woman—even peeing on a stick to see if you’re p...
What are some recent advances in robotic surgery for urogynecology issues?
Johnston-Willis Hospital - HCA VirginiaJohnston-Willis Hospital - HCA Virginia
Advances in computer technology allow surgeons to perform complex urogynecological procedures using ...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
What Are Kegel Exercises?
What Are Kegel Exercises?