What can be done for loss of vaginal tightness?

Many women worry about a loss of vaginal tightness, whether because of childbirth, anxiety about pleasing a partner, or other concerns that the vagina is bigger than it should be. Most of the time, these worries are unfounded.

Much of the concern about vaginal tightness focuses on the vaginal opening. This area is rich in nerve endings and plays a key role in satisfying intercourse for both partners, mostly because of friction. The good news is that regular Kegel exercises can often help a woman strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, which can improve orgasm quality. Performing Kegel exercises on a regular basis can also teach a woman to improve her muscular control during sex, by squeezing and releasing to improve friction, which can be feel enjoyable for both partners.

In some cases, a loss of vaginal tone can be a sign of a larger issue, such as pelvic floor prolapse, which can usually be treated. Check with a healthcare provider if something doesn’t feel right; if you don’t like what you’re hearing, it is okay to check with another provider for a second opinion. 

Continue Learning about Gynecology

How long does it take to recover from a hysterectomy?
Recovering from a hysterectomy takes time. Most women stay in the hospital from one to two days for ...
How Is Vaginal Dryness Treated?
How Is Vaginal Dryness Treated?
Is It Possible for a Tampon to Get Stuck Inside My Body?
What Issues Should I Consider When Choosing an OB/GYN?