What causes vaginal infections?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

There are various causes for vaginal infections. Some are caused by a fungus called Candida albicans (the cause for the common yeast infection). Another cause is an imbalance in bacteria in the vagina. Lowered estrogen levels in postmenopausal women can also cause a vaginal infection. Vaginal infections can also be caused by a sexually-transmitted parasite.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

What is the COEMIG designation?
Errick Y. Arroyo, MDErrick Y. Arroyo, MD
COEMIG stands for Center of Excellence for Minimally Invasive Gynecology. In this video, OB/GYN Erri...
How do I care for myself after a hysterectomy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Recovery is different for every woman, and has a lot to do with the type of surgery you’ve had. It c...
How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?
What Do I Need to Know About Over-the-Counter Lubricants or Moisturizers to Treat Vaginal Dryness?