What causes inverted nipples?

Nipple inversion usually occurs during fetal development because a small nipple base or constricted milk ducts develop, pulling the nipple inward. Sometimes, it can occur after childbirth if the milk ducts scar during breastfeeding. The condition affects about 2 percent of women, or 18 women out of every 1,000, although some estimates put it much higher, at about 10 percent of women. It can involve one or both nipples.

Doctors grade inverted nipples according to three levels:

• Grade I inverted nipples can "pop out" when exposed to cold or during arousal, or be manually popped out.
  • Grade II nipples can be pulled out, but not as easily as grade I and the nipple retracts quickly.
  • Grade III nipples are severely inverted and it is very difficult to pull them out manually.

Unless the inverted nipples occur suddenly, which could be a sign of breast cancer, they are in no way a health problem. However, they can become irritated and inflamed, and become a source of distress because of the way they look. Additionally, if you want to breastfeed, inverted nipples could cause difficulties.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

How Is Vaginal Dryness Treated?
How Is Vaginal Dryness Treated?
Is the G-Spot Real?
Is the G-Spot Real?
What Are the Ways That Surgeons Traditionally Perform Hysterectomies?
Why Do Women Have Hysterectomies?
Why Do Women Have Hysterectomies?