What supplements can help relieve the symptoms of PMS?

Every month, women may experience hormonal changes that can make them want to declare permanent secession from the other gender. But premenstrual syndrome (PMS) doesn't mean you have to be left with a Midol in one hand and a balled fist as the other. Certain supplements can help relieve the symptoms for women who experience PMS-and increase the happiness of the men who live with them.

Both omega-6 fatty acids and omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to be helpful. You can get the former by taking evening primrose oil supplements. To get the latter, take similar daily doses of flaxseed oil or 12 walnuts, 2 ounces of fish, or fish oil or echium oil.

Calcium has also been shown to decrease symptoms.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Is acne a key skin feature in polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)?
Dr. Daniel A. Dumesic, MDDr. Daniel A. Dumesic, MD
The reason acne is a warning sign of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is because the hair follicle a...
Do all gynecologists offer laparoscopic hysterectomies?
Renee E. Cotter, MDRenee E. Cotter, MD
Not all gynecologists offer laparoscopic hysterectomies. In this video, Renee Cotter, MD, of West Hi...
Why do I need a Pap test and a human papillomavirus (HPV) test?
The Pap test checks for abnormal cell changes of your cervix caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV...
Is It Possible for a Tampon to Get Stuck Inside My Body?