Should I have my ovaries removed when I have a hysterectomy?

The ovaries were once routinely removed when postmenopausal women were having a hysterectomy, and they still are when the reason is cancer. The decision seems reasonable: doing so almost eliminates the risk of ovarian cancer. However, data from the Nurses' Health Study have challenged that notion. The study indicates that when a woman has a hysterectomy for a benign condition, her risk of breast and ovarian cancers decline, but her likelihood of developing heart disease, stroke, and lung cancer goes up. In fact, losing her ovaries increases her risk of dying from any cause. If you're considering a hysterectomy for pelvic prolapse or any other benign condition, discuss the risks and benefits of conserving your ovaries with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

The Truth About Hysterectomies
The Truth About Hysterectomies
Roughly one in three women in the U.S. will have a hysterectomy before age 60. A doctor might recommend the procedure to fight cancer or even to relie...
Does uterine prolapse affect sexual function?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Uterine prolapse can affect sexual function. One way it can do this is by causing pain during interc...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
When Should Women Start Being Tested for Human Papillomavirus (HPV)?