Should I have my ovaries removed when I have a hysterectomy?

The ovaries were once routinely removed when postmenopausal women were having a hysterectomy, and they still are when the reason is cancer. The decision seems reasonable: doing so almost eliminates the risk of ovarian cancer. However, data from the Nurses' Health Study have challenged that notion. The study indicates that when a woman has a hysterectomy for a benign condition, her risk of breast and ovarian cancers decline, but her likelihood of developing heart disease, stroke, and lung cancer goes up. In fact, losing her ovaries increases her risk of dying from any cause. If you're considering a hysterectomy for pelvic prolapse or any other benign condition, discuss the risks and benefits of conserving your ovaries with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

How Often Do You Really Need a Pap Smear?
Some 93 percent of cervical cancers could be prevented through HPV (human papillomavirus) vaccination and screenings, including regular Pap tests (als...
Why is it called a Kegel exercise?
Michael H. Safir, MDMichael H. Safir, MD
There was a Dr. Kegel that popularized this technique. In this video, urologist Michael Safir, MD, o...
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
Beyond just sexual and reproductive health issues, your OB can work with you on the health of your bones, heart and more.
What Is Douching?
What Is Douching?