It is not necessary to do anything specific prior to a pelvic exam. I just tell patients that it is important to empty their bowel and bladder before the exam because it will make is somewhat more comfortable. Also, patients need to relax if possible, and this will make the exam less painful. Lastly, the patient needs to be comfortable with the doctor who is performing the pelvic exam. If she is not comfortable with the doctor performing the pelvic exam, she should consider rescheduling her procedure possibly with a different medical provider.
- Q How should I prepare for a gynecologist appointment?
- Q Do I need to see a gynecologist if I am a teenager?
- Q What is an adnexal mass?
- Q When should a girl start seeing a gynecologist?
- Q What gynecological conditions should I be aware of if I am over 65?
- Q Can cancer treatment cause vaginal tightness?