It is not necessary to do anything specific prior to a pelvic exam. I just tell patients that it is important to empty their bowel and bladder before the exam because it will make is somewhat more comfortable. Also, patients need to relax if possible, and this will make the exam less painful. Lastly, the patient needs to be comfortable with the doctor who is performing the pelvic exam. If she is not comfortable with the doctor performing the pelvic exam, she should consider rescheduling her procedure possibly with a different medical provider.
- Q What questions should I ask my doctor before having a hysterectomy?
- Q When is hormone therapy given to a woman?
- Q What gynecologic procedures can be done using robots?
- Q What is vestibulodynia?
- Q When should a girl start seeing a gynecologist?
- Q How do lax pelvic floor muscles affect a woman?