Can polycystic ovary syndrome be prevented?

Since scientists are still confused as to the cause of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), they also do not know how to prevent it. However, some of the risk factors associated with PCOS can be prevented and, thus, you can lessen your chance of developing this syndrome. Since excess insulin levels are sometimes a factor in PCOS, try to limit your sugar and carbohydrate intake. A lower weight and healthier lifestyle may help you to control PCOS risk factors like insulin and androgen levels. If you have a family history of the condition or have an accompanying illness like low-grade inflammation and diabetes, talk to your doctor about frequent checkups for PCOS.

Mark Perloe, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
While there is a strong genetic predisposition to develop this condition if others in your family have PCOS, diabets or metabolic syndrome, diet and exercise can reduce the risk.

Diets that are low in processed carbohydrates and high glycemic carbohydrates such as potatos may reduce the risk of developing PCOS. Avoid sugar and processed food with high fructose corn syrup, can help reduce the risk of weight gain and PCOS.

Exercise with at least 20-30 minutes or walking or running may reduce insulin resistance as well.

If you note irregular menstrual periods, excess acne or hair growth you should ask your physician if testing would be appropriate.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
For straight-up down-there medical problems—a yeast infection, say, or a positive at-home pregnancy test—there’s no question you should call on your o...
Should I talk to my doctor about my vaginal infection?
You should visit your doctor if you have symptoms of a vaginal infection. Many vaginal infections ha...
9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period
9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period
Awful cramping or discomfort could signal a serious condition, like fibroids or endometriosis.
What Is the Treatment for a Relaxed Vagina?