What tests are taken during the pelvic exam?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

During a pelvic exam, a Pap smear is performed.  A Pap smear is a test where cells are brushed away from the outer portion of the cervix as well as the endocervical canal and they are then placed in a liquid medium.  The liquid medium is sent to a lab for diagnostic purposes.  The lab will then examine the cells to see if there are any changes in the cells that look consistent with precancerous changes.  Also, during a pelvic exam, patients can be screened for sexually transmitted infections as well as the external and internal genitalia can be examined for any types of lesions or abnormalities.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

What happens if I have an abnormal Pap test?
Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MDDr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
If you have an abnormal Pap test then a few different things may happen. Sometimes it needs to be re...
Why should I seek treatment for atrophic vaginitis?
Good In BedGood In Bed
Up to half of all menopausal women experience atrophic vaginitis, the thinning and hardening of vagi...
Are Herbal or Other Dietary Supplements Safe and Effective to Treat Menopause Symptoms?
Can a Hysterectomy Hurt My Sex Life?
Can a Hysterectomy Hurt My Sex Life?