How can ovarian cysts be prevented?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
A woman who is in her reproductive years who is ovulating on a monthly basis will always have ovarian cysts.  The ovarian cysts are usually inconsequential, and they occur with regular ovulation.  If ovarian cysts are causing pain or if the patient is having a severe amount of pain with ovulation, I will put these patients on birth control pills.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

The Truth About Hysterectomies
The Truth About Hysterectomies
Roughly one in nine women in the U.S. will have a hysterectomy, or surgery to remove the uterus, at some point in their lifetime. A healthcare provide...
How do I care for myself after a hysterectomy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Recovery is different for every woman, and has a lot to do with the type of surgery you’ve had. It c...
What can prevent miscarriage in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
There appears to be a higher rate of miscarriage in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). T...
Why do women have orgasms?
Evolutionarily, having an orgasm was one of the ways that women could tell whether a man would be a ...