How can ovarian cysts be prevented?

Evelyn Minaya, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Ovarian cysts are a normal part of ovulation. One way to prevent them is to prevent ovulation. Obstetrician and gynecologist Evelyn Minaya, M.D., explains how in this video.

Ovarian cysts cannot be prevented. The good news is that most cysts:
  • Don't cause symptoms
  • Are not cancerous
  • Go away on their own
  • Talk to your doctor or nurse if you notice:
  • Changes in your period
  • Pain in the pelvic area
  • Any of the major symptoms of cysts
This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.
Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
A woman who is in her reproductive years who is ovulating on a monthly basis will always have ovarian cysts.  The ovarian cysts are usually inconsequential, and they occur with regular ovulation.  If ovarian cysts are causing pain or if the patient is having a severe amount of pain with ovulation, I will put these patients on birth control pills.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Know Before You Go: Hysterectomy
Know Before You Go: Hysterectomy
Every year approximately 600,000 women have a hysterectomy -- a surgery that removes the uterus. Many more are advised to do so. Many women aren’t giv...
What could cause me to get dizzy before my menstrual period?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
Progesterone is the dominant hormone before your menstrual period. There are progesterone receptors ...
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
Skipping annual appointments, self-treating symptoms and other gyno no-nos.
How Can I Stay in Good Sexual Health as I Age?