Do I need to have Pap tests after a hysterectomy?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

You will still need regular Pap tests to screen for cervical cancer if you had a partial hysterectomy and did not have your cervix removed, or if your hysterectomy was for cancer. Ask your doctor what is best for you and how often you should have Pap tests.

Even if you do not need Pap tests, all women who have had a hysterectomy should have regular pelvic exams and mammograms.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Is It Possible for a Tampon to Get Stuck Inside My Body?
What Should Patients Look for When Seeking a Surgeon Who Performs Robotic Surgery?
Why Is Little or No Sex Drive Something I Shouldn't Ignore?
Dr. Ricardo Estape - What Are the Benefits of Robotic Surgery for a Hysterectomy?