Is an abnormal Pap always caused by an STD?

Donna Ketcheson, RN
Midwifery Nursing

Yes, almost always an abnormal pap smear is caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV) of which there are over 100 different types and are transmitted by skin-to-skin contact. If it is caused by HPV, then most likely you will be evaluated with a colposcopic exam. Remember that a pap smear is only a screening test, and not a diagnostic test. Your practitioner will view and evaluate your cervix/vagina/vulva with the colposcope (binoculars on a stand) and may take a small biopsy of tissue to assess the level of abnormality.

Sometimes a pap smear is "abnormal" due to lack of estrogen in the vagina or inflammation or other sexually transmitted diseases such as trichominiasis and, in that case, the cause will be treated and the pap repeated. Also, an HPV test can be done to see if the virus is present to help determine the next course of action.

In any event, remember that the pap smear is a screening test and will need further evaluation such as an office visit or a colposcopic exam to determine the cause of the abnormal pap.

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
HPV is the cause of 90% of abnormal Pap tests. Sometimes other STDs like trichomanis can cause abnormal Pap test. Bacterial vaginosis, yeast infections, lack of estrogen can also cause abnormal Pap test and these problems are not sexually transmitted.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

What is the ovarian Pap test?
Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MDDr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
The Pap test is just a screening test and if it is abnormal then you will need a colposcopy to see i...
What happens if I have an abnormal Pap test?
If you have an abnormal Pap test then a few different things may happen. Sometimes it needs to be re...
Why Do Women Have Hysterectomies?
Why Do Women Have Hysterectomies?
How Can I Stay in Good Sexual Health as I Age?