How is uterine prolapse diagnosed?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The diagnosis of uterine prolapse is often suspected by symptoms suggesting that the uterus has fallen into the vaginal canal. It is confirmed when the doctor performs a pelvic examination. If the prolapse is not initially obvious, the doctor may ask you to stand or strain as if you are having a bowel movement because these maneuvers will make it more noticeable. Although not necessary for diagnosis, tests such as an ultrasound or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) are sometimes done to determine the severity of the prolapse, and to determine which organs are affected. An MRI can help determine if surgery can be avoided.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

What should I do to prepare for a gynecologist appointment?
Can a Low Libido Be a Symptom of Another Medical Condition?
Sanford - Kevin Benson - Why didn't previous physicians diagnose my condition
At What Age Should a Girl Start Seeing a Gynecologist?