How is uterine prolapse diagnosed?

The diagnosis of uterine prolapse is often suspected by symptoms suggesting that the uterus has fallen into the vaginal canal. It is confirmed when the doctor performs a pelvic examination. If the prolapse is not initially obvious, the doctor may ask you to stand or strain as if you are having a bowel movement because these maneuvers will make it more noticeable. Although not necessary for diagnosis, tests such as an ultrasound or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) are sometimes done to determine the severity of the prolapse, and to determine which organs are affected. An MRI can help determine if surgery can be avoided.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

The Truth About Hysterectomies
The Truth About Hysterectomies
Roughly one in nine women in the U.S. will have a hysterectomy, or surgery to remove the uterus, at some point in their lifetime. A healthcare provide...
Why do I need to see an OB/GYN when I'm in my 40s?
Denise LongDenise Long
All women should continue to regularly see a health care provider for preventative women's health ca...
9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period
9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period
Awful cramping or discomfort could signal a serious condition, like fibroids or endometriosis.
What Exactly Is a Laparoscopic Hysterectomy?