How can I treat a clogged milk duct at home?

A clogged milk duct sometimes occurs after weaning because, even though you're not nursing, your body is still producing some milk. In fact, women generally continue to produce milk for about 45 days after they've weaned their babies, with some women continuing to produce milk for several months. Since the baby is no longer emptying your breasts, milk can back up in the ducts.

You can treat a clogged milk duct at home by trying the following:

• Apply heat to the breast(s), such as warm showers, hot wet pads or a small, hot water bottle to loosen the plugged duct.
  • Massage the affected area several times a day while the breast is warm.
  • Pump or express milk in the affected breast.
  • Make sure you're wearing a properly fitted bra. Bras that are too tight can lead to plugged ducts.

If your symptoms get worse, or you develop a fever, see your healthcare professional as soon as possible.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Why should I seek treatment for atrophic vaginitis?
Good In BedGood In Bed
Up to half of all menopausal women experience atrophic vaginitis, the thinning and hardening of vagi...
How soon after having a hysterectomy can I have sex?
Metropolitan Methodist HospitalMetropolitan Methodist Hospital
Your body must heal from the hysterectomy before sexual activity can resume. Women can usually resum...
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
Beyond just sexual and reproductive health issues, your OB can work with you on the health of your bones, heart and more. You probably associate your ...
Do I Need an Annual Check-Up?
Do I Need an Annual Check-Up?