How can I treat a clogged milk duct at home?

A clogged milk duct sometimes occurs after weaning because, even though you're not nursing, your body is still producing some milk. In fact, women generally continue to produce milk for about 45 days after they've weaned their babies, with some women continuing to produce milk for several months. Since the baby is no longer emptying your breasts, milk can back up in the ducts.

You can treat a clogged milk duct at home by trying the following:

• Apply heat to the breast(s), such as warm showers, hot wet pads or a small, hot water bottle to loosen the plugged duct.
  • Massage the affected area several times a day while the breast is warm.
  • Pump or express milk in the affected breast.
  • Make sure you're wearing a properly fitted bra. Bras that are too tight can lead to plugged ducts.

If your symptoms get worse, or you develop a fever, see your healthcare professional as soon as possible.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
For straight-up down-there medical problems—a yeast infection, say, or a positive at-home pregnancy test—there’s no question you should call on your o...
What is an integrative gynecologist?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
An integrative gynecologist looks at all the factors that affect a woman's health, wellness and dise...
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
Beyond just sexual and reproductive health issues, your OB can work with you on the health of your bones, heart and more.
What Do I Need to Know About Over-the-Counter Lubricants or Moisturizers to Treat Vaginal Dryness?