How can I prevent vaginal odor and light discharge?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Some vaginal odor and discharge is normal. Here's why: The vagina is normally kept moist by gland secretions near its opening and from fluids produced by the vaginal walls. Female hormones also cause the cervical glands to secrete fluid. This fluid may have a mild odor.

During your period, the secretions may become more noticeable as a clear, stringy discharge. And the odor might be a little stronger. This is normal.

However, if the smell or discharge becomes strong, unpleasant, or irritating it could point to an infection. See your doctor if this happens.

Some women douche to try and get rid of even normal vaginal secretions and odor. It can make a woman feel 'fresher.' But claims that douching provides health benefits have not been proven. In fact, there are studies that show douching too much can raise the risk of vaginal infection, endometriosis, preterm labor, and ectopic pregnancy.

Most commercial douching solutions contain watered-down vinegar. Some products also add fragrances, deodorants and antiseptics. So, douching can change the normal environment inside the vagina.

The vagina has a natural way of maintaining the proper acid-base balance that permits the growth of "good" bacteria. Since douching may disrupt this natural balance, it is not recommended.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

How Often Do You Really Need a Pap Smear?
Some 93 percent of cervical cancers could be prevented through HPV (human papillomavirus) vaccination and screenings, including regular Pap tests (als...
How should I care for my incision after a hysterectomy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you've had an abdominal hysterectomy surgery, your incision will take longer to heal than the sma...
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
Beyond just sexual and reproductive health issues, your OB can work with you on the health of your bones, heart and more.
What Causes the Pain During Recovery from Traditional Open Hysterectomies?