How is polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) diagnosed?

Diagnosis of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) begins with an inventory of signs and symptoms, the most common of which are:

• unwanted hair growth or hirsutism (excess body and/or facial hair in a male-like pattern, particularly on the chin, upper lip, breasts, inner thighs and abdomen)
  • irregular or infrequent periods
  • obesity, primarily around the abdomen (although only about 30 percent to 60 percent of patients are obese)
  • acne and/or oily skin (particularly severe acne in teenagers or acne that persists into adulthood)
  • infertility
  • ovarian appearance suggesting polycystic ovaries
  • hair loss or balding
  • acanthosis nigricans (darkening of the skin, usually on the neck; also a sign of insulin problems), often with skin tags (small tags of excess skin), most often seen in the armpit or neck area

Women with PCOS may have varying combinations of these and other signs and symptoms, but three important features of the disorder include the following:

• Hyperandrogenism (signs of male-like traits, such as hirsutism) and/or hyperandrogenemia (excess blood levels of androgens). Androgens are hormones such as testosterone that in excess quantities cause such symptoms as hirsutism and acne. In more severe cases, "virilization"—taking on significant male characteristics, including severe excess facial and body hair, an enlarged clitoris, baldness at the temples, acne, deepening of the voice, increased muscularity and an increased sex drive—may occur. However, virilization is more frequently a sign of an androgen-producing tumor, which should be searched for.
  • Lack of ovulation or irregular ovulation often resulting in irregular or absent menstruation. Women with PCOS usually have oligomenorrhea (eight or fewer periods per year) or amenorrhea (absence of periods for extended periods).
  • Polycystic ovaries on ultrasound.

Experts have determined that a woman must exhibit at least two of these three symptoms to be diagnosed with PCOS.

The diagnostic process should include a thorough physical examination and history to check for signs and symptoms of other disorders that can have similar signs and symptoms, such as hypothyroidism, Cushing's syndrome (a hormonal disorder in which the adrenal glands malfunction), adrenal hyperplasia (a genetic condition that results in male hormone excess produced by the adrenal glands), and androgen-secreting tumors (of the ovary, adrenal gland, etc.).

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Dr. Jessica A. Shepherd, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is diagnosed by looking at three specific criteria that indicate the condition. Watch OB/GYN specialist Jessica Shepherd, MD, discuss these criteria and how a blood test and ultrasound are used to determine results. 
Dr. Daniel A. Dumesic, MD
Fertility Specialist
The diagnosis of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) consists of selecting either two of three specific abnormalities. These abnormalities are clinical or biochemical hyperandrogenism (excess of androgen), oligo-ovulation or anovulation (irregular or no ovulation), and polycystic ovaries. This excludes other endocrine abnormalities that are rarer in a population of young women, including various types of tumors and adrenal abnormalities that also can produce male hormones.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Tell Me Why… I Poop More During My Period
As if the cramps, bloating, mood swings, exhaustion and increased appetite during premenstrual syndrome (PMS) weren’t bad enough, your tummy may get o...
How often should I get a Pap test?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
The Pap smear has been the main reason for a woman to come in annually to see a doctor. This test ha...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
Can a Low Libido Be a Symptom of Another Medical Condition?