How long does it take to recover from a hysterectomy?

The recovery period of a hysterectomy depends on the type of procedure that is used, but generally, it takes about six weeks to heal.

Recovery from a hysterectomy varies from two to eight weeks.

Depending on the procedure and the patient, it can take three to four weeks to recover from a hysterectomy.

Today, most women are candidates for an outpatient laparoscopic or robotic procedure. My patients generally go home within hours of surgery with three or four tiny bandages on their belly. Many women express concern that such a quick discharge is not only inhumane, but also potentially dangerous. Be assured that hospitals that routinely discharge women hours after hysterectomy have strict protocols in place to make sure that it is safe to do so. Far from being cruel, most women who are eligible prefer going home hours after surgery knowing they will be far more comfortable in their own beds, eating their own food and peeing in the privacy of their own bathrooms.

The majority of my patients report that they feel “like nothing happened” within two weeks or less after the day of surgery.

Recovering from a hysterectomy takes time. Most women stay in the hospital from one to two days for post-surgery care. Some women may stay longer, often when the hysterectomy is done because of cancer.

The time it takes for you to resume normal activities depends on the type of surgery. If you had:

Abdominal surgery. Recovery takes from four to six weeks. You will gradually be able to increase your activities. Vaginal or laparoscopic surgery. Recovery takes three to four weeks.

You should get plenty of rest and not lift heavy objects for a full six weeks after surgery. About six weeks after either surgery, you should be able to take tub baths and resume sexual intercourse. Research has found that women with a good sex life before hysterectomy can maintain it after the surgery.

This answer is based on source information from National Women's Health Information Center.

Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

The recovery time from a hysterectomy depends on how the hysterectomy was performed as well as how well a patient deals with postoperative pain. I tell my patients that if they are having a total abdominal hysterectomy that this could be a good five- to six-week recovery. If they are having a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy, three- to four-week recovery. If they are having a vaginal hysterectomy, three-week recovery. If they are having a laparoscopic or single-incision laparoscopic hysterectomy, probably a one- to two-week recovery.

It depends on the type of hysterectomy, but overall it takes six weeks for a full recovery. Sometimes we are able to get people back to work after two to three weeks if they have a non-strenuous desk job.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Tell Me Why… I Poop More During My Period
As if the cramps, bloating, mood swings, exhaustion and increased appetite during premenstrual syndrome (PMS) weren’t bad enough, your tummy may get o...
How often should I have Pap smears after menopause?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
A woman who is no longer having menstrual periods, and has had normal Pap tests and negative HPV tes...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
Dr. Ricardo Estape - What Are the Benefits of Robotic Surgery for a Hysterectomy?