How long does it take to recover from a laparoscopic hysterectomy?

During recovery from a laparoscopic hysterectomy it's very normal to be sore. Your abdomen is filled with air during surgery, and that can take a couple days to go away. That can cause some discomfort, and occasionally causes shoulder pain, but that will resolve on its own.

Your activity will be limited for the first six weeks after surgery because it takes the top of the vagina about six weeks to heal. Typically, people feel significantly better one to two weeks after surgery.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
For straight-up down-there medical problems—a yeast infection, say, or a positive at-home pregnancy test—there’s no question you should call on your o...
Where can I look for an obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN)?
St. David’s HealthCareSt. David’s HealthCare
To look for an obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN), internet sites that provide basic information on d...
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
Skipping annual appointments, self-treating symptoms and other gyno no-nos.
How Can I Stay in Good Sexual Health as I Age?