How will LEEP affect my chance of having a successful pregnancy?

Women who have had a loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) can become pregnant and carry the pregnancy to term. The length of the cervix may become shortened and mucus-producing glands may be disrupted after undergoing LEEP. These factors may make it more difficult to achieve pregnancy or carry the pregnancy to term.

Assisted reproductive technology and other procedures do exist to help both achieve pregnancy and help the cervix remain closed during pregnancy in order to carry the pregnancy to term. It is recommended that you discuss this with the doctor who performed the LEEP procedure.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Know Before You Go: Hysterectomy
Know Before You Go: Hysterectomy
Every year approximately 600,000 women have a hysterectomy -- a surgery that removes the uterus. Many more are advised to do so. Many women aren’t giv...
What can I expect during a gynecologist visit at certain ages?
Dr. Angela T. Valle, MDDr. Angela T. Valle, MD
During gynecologist visits when you’re in your 20s and 30s, you can expect your doctor to review you...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
Can a Low Libido Be a Symptom of Another Medical Condition?