How is the pelvic exam performed?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

A pelvic exam, otherwise known as a gynecologic exam, is a procedure where a woman's vagina, cervix, uterus, and ovaries are examined for health and wellness.  During a pelvic exam, a small metal or plastic instrument called a speculum is placed into the vagina so as to expose the cervix and then a "Pap smear" is performed in which a brush is used to brush cells away from the outer portion of the cervix to send to a laboratory for evaluation to check for any types of precancerous changes of the cervix.  After the speculum exam, I will place 1-2 fingers inside the patient's vagina to examine the vaginal wall as well as examine the cervix and then place my other hand on the patient's abdomen and examine the size of the patient's uterus as well as her ovaries, and this also checks to make sure there is no significant pelvic pain or pressure or any types of abnormality.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Know Before You Go: Hysterectomy
Know Before You Go: Hysterectomy
Every year approximately 600,000 women have a hysterectomy -- a surgery that removes the uterus. Many more are advised to do so. Many women aren’t giv...
Who should have a Pap test?
The Pap test is recommended for all women between the ages of 21 and 65 years old, and can be done i...
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
Skipping annual appointments, self-treating symptoms and other gyno no-nos.
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?