How is irregular bleeding from PCOS treated?

Although genetic factors are believed to make certain women more susceptible to polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), Susan Davis, M.D., a UCLA endocrinologist, notes that lifestyle, including diet and exercise, plays an important role in its severity. In particular, excess weight exacerbates both the reproductive problems and the insulin resistance that is linked to diabetes. "Thus, weight loss through diet and exercise is one of the most important strategies to combat the effects of PCOS."

Beyond that, treatment is individualized. For irregular uterine bleeding -- typically from lack of ovulation -- women with PCOS who aren’t looking to become pregnant are often prescribed oral contraceptives.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
For straight-up down-there medical problems—a yeast infection, say, or a positive at-home pregnancy test—there’s no question you should call on your o...
How is MRI used after breast cancer is diagnosed?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), used to evaluate breast tissue, is performed with a dedicat...
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
Skipping annual appointments, self-treating symptoms and other gyno no-nos.
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?